The Centre is owned and run by North Yorkshire County Scout Council.
It is a substantial stone building, originally the Manor House, converted and extended to provide mixed accommodation for adult leader training and other scouting activities, on a self catering basis.
The Centre is also available to other supervised groups.
The charge for use of the Centre includes all facilities irrespective of numbers up to the permitted maximum of 36.
WHAT FACILITIES ARE THERE?
The heated accommodation comprises five bedrooms totalling 32 beds, together with a leaders room with 4 beds.
• Dining room and separate activities room.
• A comfortable common room.
• A well equipped kitchen with two large electric cookers, fridge freezer and adequate pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc.
• Washing and toilet facilities together with showers.
• A pay phone is available 01642 712539
• The Centre is protected by an approved fire alarm system. Smoke detectors are located throughout the Centre.
• For the comfort of users smoking is prohibited.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO BRING?
• Parties are expected to provide their own food, catering staff, sleeping bags, pillow cases, towels and tea towels.
• Outdoor clothing and equipment should be brought depending on the activities planned.
• There are camping facilities available in the field behind the Centre (approximately 1 acre).
• Water stand pipes are provided in the field.
• Wood fires are only allowed in the designated area.
The Centre is well placed for many outdoor activities e.g.
• Climbing and abseiling on the crags of Scugdale and the Wainstones.
• Canoeing and Sailing at Ellerton Park.
• Mountain biking on many bridleways.
• Walking direct from the Centre on the many public footpaths and hill walking on the North York Moors.
Great care should be taken when walking on the North York Moors as navigation is difficult in this featureless terrain where bad weather is the norm and good weather the exception.
All activities require special safety precautions with trained and experienced leaders.
HOW TO BOOK THE CENTRE AND FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Contact the Warden, Watson Scout Centre, Carlton-in-Cleveland, Near Stokesley, Middlesbrough, TS9 7BB. (Please enclose stamped addressed envelope for reply – thank you).
Telephone: 0845 474 9983
Watson Scout Centre Availability