We’re starting a new provision for four and five year olds called SQUIRRELS, to help young people gain skills for life at a time when it matters most and where it's most needed.
Several Districts in our Scouting County of North Yorkshire have already started Squirrel sections (called Dreys) and meet in their distinctive red coloured jumpers.
The Scout Association chose Squirrels red for the uniform as it’s so closely associated with the red squirrel animal, it’s highly visible to keep children safe, and the bright primary colour appeals to children of all genders.
Hello to Squirrels
Our first Squirrel Dreys have opened or will do so very soon at:
- 5th Skipton Parish Church Scout Group (South Craven District)
- 1st Holgate (York Ebor District)
- 1st Pannal (Harrogate & Nidderdale)
- 1st Topcliffe (Ripon & District)
- 42nd Scarborough (Scarborough & District)
- 2nd Acomb (York Ebor District)
Later in the year and in to next, we will see more Dreys opening up;
- 14th Selby (Selby & District)
- 46th Scarborough (Scarborough & District)
- Dringhouses (York Ebor District)
- Ingleton (Ingleborough District)
- West Thorpe Methodist (York Ebor District)
- Lord Mayor's Own (York Minster District)
Every week, Squirrels will gather to grow and learn their way through lots of different games and activities. Squirrels can achieve anything they set their minds to – and they have lots of fun along the way.
The one hour sessions will be a brilliant opportunity for young people to take their first step into being part of Scouts, and they’ll help everyone get ready for the adventure of school too.
Sessions will be packed with outdoors activities, fun, games, badges, laughter, and so much more to help our youngest members learn the skills they need for life. Of course, none of it would be possible without the support of the amazing leaders who plan and deliver such an inspiring programme.
If you know a potential Squirrel who would like to join one of our Dreys or if you want to volunteer and help us to deliver opportunities for adventure and skills for life for our Squirrels or any other Scout section, then please get in touch.